lördag 9 juli 2011

What would you have them drink?

I don't know if you're the type of person to regularly peruse Gawker, but let me tell you it's worth it. Few of the posts are food-and-wine related, but the ones that are are too good to miss. I'm half-way through my Saturday night when I stumbled upon their article about the Republican Paul Ryan ordering wine in a bar.
Paul Ryan is "a leading advocate of shrinking entitlement spending and the architect of the plan to privatize Medicare", and apparently made the mistake of ordering a nice bottle of wine in a Capitol Hill bistro. The problem was not so much the quality of the wine, but the fact that another customer at the restaurant noticed that it was $350 for a bottle. And it wasn't just one bottle - it was two! Comsumed by a party of three! On a Friday night! Outside work hours! "Those two bottles of wine cost more than two-income working family making minimum wage earned in a week"! Outrage!
Hello Communism! If two income-working families can't afford two of these bottles per week, NO ONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO BUY THEM!!

Seriously. I prefer my political representatives to drink a nice bottle of wine with their buddies, rather than, say, a bottle of cheap-ass tequila. See, the latter speaks of a kind of lack of judgement I'd rather not endorse. And as for the thankless task of being a politician, I'm just glad that all the bureaucracy I have to deal with professionally are Sweden's alcohol and tax laws. And THAT, let me tell you, often requires more than two nice bottles of wine with my buddies to get through.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar