fredag 26 augusti 2011

We told you he was excentric

I have to make a small comment on the over-all very flattering review from di.se. We're very happy that they liked what we serve. Very happy indeed. But what I don't get is whether they're complaining that Miguel isn't Igi (yes, I have considered cloning him but I think that might be a drawback when it comes to originality), or if they're complaining about the no-menu concept. If they're complaining that Miguel isn't Igi - well, all I have to say is tough luck guys, but if they're upset that they weren't told what they were eating before they'd finished the plate, all I can say is sorry, but you knew what you were buying into.
See, I know that every single diner gets told what they were eating and drinking. They get told after every course. Part of the no-menu concept is that we be allowed to surprise you. We believe that it really detracts from your experience if you're told before the first bite. Not knowing allows for a good and thorough exploration of flavors and textures from someone with an open mind. We believe that it makes it more exciting. That's what Bloom is all about.

As for calling Miguel an Igi-wannabe, well, that's just bullshit. I guess it's too much to ask that they take into account that Igi hires his own staff - and we work the way Igi wants us to work - and we work by the no-menu/surprise-the-guests concept. When I work, I also ask my guests to tell me what they thought they ate. I ask them to recount the flavors, to search their memory for similar textures, colors and smells. It's an interactive experience, and that's the way we want it. It's the way Igi runs his floor. So I'm a bit sorry for this particular food writer, it feels like he/she was reluctant to surrender that last bit of control and not bark "what's that" at every glass and plate, and that this detracted from the experience - but I somehow don't feel that that's either Miguel or Igi's fault.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar