söndag 16 oktober 2011

Why the majority is sometimes wrong

Well, by now no one can have missed that I'm the person wearing a bikini in the website's terrace picture. If not because of direct inquiry, but because Igi is now offering up this information to anyone and everyone who asks (or not). So, apparently when we're going to have to re-print our business cards someone is going to have hers featuring not a foodstuff but something quite leggy. Haha, I think not.

Anyhow, this is not what this post was all about. It started off as a small itch in my mind (I have a lot of those) that resulted in me reading up on roman cuisine and also the entire epic Romeo and Juliet in Old English to find out what was eaten 1. in the times of Saint Valentine and 2. for big romantic banquets in Tudor England. I want to make this clear stright off: sometimes the ends don't justify the means. The only food mentioned in Romeo and Juliet is marzipan. Duh. And although the Romans were relatively forward (they drank a lot of wine, for instance) they also had backward delicacies such as mice dipped in honey. Dropping the Roman lead and moving onto Tudor cooking lead me to discover that the only recipes really worth hunting (for use in modern times) were for the upper classes - the lower classes still ate mice (stuffed doormouse) and things like "Savoury porridge". The upper classes were the only people that could afford spices and fresh produce. Anyway, after a lot of perusing and discarding of recipes that no one in the modern world would touch, my conclusion is that what's worth keeping food-wise from Shakespeare are desserts and sweets. Marzipan? Uh-huh.
So now I read that digging into history and recovering supposed culinary gems is somewhat of a trend. Well if you like blood sauce, weeds and vermin then knock yourselves out! If you find it's not your kind of game, then don't tell me I didn't telleth thou so.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar