torsdag 23 juni 2011

Still picking on Systembolaget.

When you read Systembolagets home page it gives the distinct impression that they are only thing standing in the way of the people of Sweden descending into complete drunken decadent chaos. I really wonder why they are so full of themselves. For instance, my interest in wine and spirits has had (as of yet) nothing to do with Systembolaget. In fact, it has rather hindered my progress in the exploration of drinkable table wines, as most of what Systembolaget sells in that particular category is, as they say in France, merde. If I should, per chance, want a fine bottle of wine - I go find it either over the channel, through my friends who import wines for a living, or through the internet. It may seem a long way to go to avoid the monopoly, but I've simply had one too many insulting experiences with Systembolaget staff who seem to be in the profession for any other reason but to sell wine.

I like to taste wine. Just like I like tasting cheese before I buy it. But we all know that's a no-go when buying wine in Sweden. I wonder what kind of damage they think a sip of wine to gargle and spit (or god forbid, swallow) would do to the common knowledge on how to drink. I've always wondered why communion in church is allowed (the beverage quality is similar to the Systembolaget <100 price class). It must have something to do with the sacrilegious worship of a nice dinner on Friday night with my husband. After all, who knows what dinner conversation might turn into when the wine hath loosened our tongues.

Anyway, if the purpose is to stop over-consumption of alcoholic beverages you'd think they might want to consider dropping three-quarters of their product range. I am speaking of course, of the cheap and nasty, chemical-laced, lurid, horrid stuff one has to over-consume to at least get a buzz as a payoff. Like this:

(Picture from wownews.se)

Systembolaget initially tried to stop sales of this junk, not because it's of the devil and only people who don't know or care what they're drinking (why else would you drink a box of pre-mixed mojito but for its effects on your central nervous system?) will buy this but because it came in a 1,5L box. Well, as the European commission would probably have ruled if they were given a chance, Systembolaget sells shit wine with a similar alcohol content in the same size boxes - quelle est le différence? You tell me. All I know is I like my mojitos mixed with real mint and a good rum (no vodka in sight). With a drop of lemon. Merci beaucoup.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar