måndag 21 november 2011

Seeing isn't believing, and it's certainly not selling

I've had a pretty lovely evening at Atmosfär with Titti, Alex (from Rebell) and a few other restaurant people. We've tried some very nice champagne's with a very interesting five course dinner. It's not often we get to sit down with other Malmö-restaurant people, so we try to make the most of the opportunity to discuss the things that only other restaurant personnel will understand: service, food, wines, suppliers, guests... it's a long list. Even very different restaurants can have very similar problems. And, I think to our surprise, we might be very different as people, but we seem to have very similar opinions in many cases. Different tastes, yes - but on many of the issues faced by restaurants today we think alike. Should we maybe present a more united front?
Anyway, in the spirit of discovering that everything is not what it seems, I of course had to get in an argument with the only other academic in the place. We were graced with the presence of a Swedish vintner who was there to let us sample his wines. His, in his words, biodynamic wines. I've written about biodynamics before - so I'm not going to go through the wacky of Steiner or homeopathy again tonight. However, I find it a very tired selling point. There is a lot to be said for the changing of the laws when branding something ecological and then allowing all sorts of additives - but this guy thought he's be able to get away with his biodynamic wines being filtered with sulphur and copper. Well, not on my watch (especially not after a couple of glasses of champagne). This is my area (I've got degrees), and if you're going to take me on, your arguments had better be more than that you've been doing this since 2008.
Anyway, my duty is to my customer. I don't think I can sell a bottle of expensive wine, where the quality lies not so much in the taste as in it's having been sung to at the full moon at midnight. See, as a scientist I allow for belief, but the placebo effect doesn't spread to plants, unfortunately. And to my taste, these wines were mediocre at best. My objection is thus not so much the lacklustre wine, but rather the 150 kr I'd have to pay for someone else's religion. I got combative because his attitude was "now young lady, not even molecular biologists can know it all or explain it all". Well, I can certainly agree that at 23 years of age I don't know everything. What I do know is that I don't buy crap for our customers, and that I have too much pride in my job and my education to be sold it - or worse, spoon fed it at a tasting.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar